Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Daily Beauty: Coco Chanel

How we know her: who doesn't know her as the formidable fashion brand? However, we might have forgotten as a woman, she was a pioneering force in the fashion world, as well as a philanthropist. Born Gabrielle Bonheur Chanel, she brought us the LBD, Chanel No. 5 (my mom's personal favorite), and menswear-inspired suits.

Road to success: her mother died of tuberculosis, her father left the family and she was an orphan for six years. It was at the orphanage where she learned to sew. At 18, when she left the orphanage, she was affiliated with the circus and made her rounds in bars as a cabaret singer. It was during this time where she picked up the nickname 'Coco'. She then met a businessman who helped open her first boutique, and the rest is history.

Why she's beautiful: for all of life's challenges, she persisted in trying to find her way. She didn't let her early 'failures' as a singer and dancer stop her from success. She insisted that a woman's style, not fashion, is what will make a woman stand out and feel beautiful.




15 comments:

  1. Great bio! :) I love all these photos of Coco too. She was such an inspiring woman, not just in fashion but in business. There are some awesome movies about her too. Have you seen Coco Avant Chanel? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen it yet, but I'll definitely add to my list :) You're such a great resource for indie films!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exquisite post, darling!
    Love Coco Chanel, and not just because we share the same initials!

    xoxox
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's so elegant and beautiful in these photos! I so agree with her philosophy of style over fashion. Did you ever watch the bio movies on her? Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely tribute! I haven't actually heard much about her background & story. Thanks for sharing! <3 EverRubyGirl. blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pure class!! Love the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful post and stunning images. Loved reading this:) Thanks, sweetie
    Have a fantastic afternoon
    Muah

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is just sophisticated, classy, and gorgeous! Nice post!

    Thanks for stopping by and the sweet comment!

    xoxo
    Stella

    http://www.jadore-fashion.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by girls!

    ReplyDelete
  10. chanel's haute joaillerie collection always amazed me!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love all the jewelry, you have a great blog! please check out my blog and follow if you like, I promise to do the same! xx
www.lovejoice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely pics!
    I really like your post!
    I just found your blog,it's so cute!I added to your followers:)I'm very happy if you follow me too
    Xoxo
    Mary
    fashionteaat5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. HI, thanks for the follow, I followed via facebook as well! ^_^
    thanks xx Joice

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will forever be inspired by the way she piled on the pearls!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete